If you find a broken link or a link taking you to the wrong place, please don’t hesitate to tell me. I want to keep this listing as up to date as possible. However, I’m not perfect.

Federal Licenses and Permits

I like to think the federal government leaves governing to the states and localities. However, that’s not always the case. In terms of businesses, the federal government has a few industries it likes to keep tabs on. As there aren’t many, I encourage you to browse through the list below:

Agriculture. Governed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Permit Information

Alcoholic Beverages. Governed by the U.S. Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). This will also require a local and/or state licenses.

Aviation. Depending on your type of business, you may need to apply for more than one of the following licenses. FAA Licenses and CertificatesPilot Licenses and Training Requirements, and Aircraft Mechanic Licenses.

Firearms, Ammunition and Explosives. Administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). The ATF also makes available guides for those wanting to obtain licenses for firearms and/or explosives: Firearms Industry GuideExplosives Industry GuideHow to Become a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL), and How to Become a Federal Explosives Licensee (FEL).

Fish and Wildlife. Governed by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Permit Information

Commercial Fisheries. NOAA Fisheries Service handles this area. Permit Information

Maritime Transportation. These licenses are governed by the Federal Maritime Commission. License Information.

Mining and Drilling. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (formerly the Minerals Management Service) handles this area. Regulation Information

Nuclear Energy. Governed by U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. License Information

Radio and Television Broadcasting. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) are the ones to talk to in this industry. License Information.

Transportation and Logistics. Last but not least. The U.S. Department of Transportation covers this area. License Information.